Sunday, December 21, 2014

Heaven Earth Heart Mind



"There is one question I'd really like to ask
Is there a place for the hopeless sinner
Who has hurt all mankind just to save his own?"
― Bob Marley, One Love






"Katya in blue dress by christmas tree"
Zinaida Serebriakova 
(1922)




A Spiritual Guide for the Fashion Set
Art director Giovanni Bianco releases a prayer card collection with Taschen.
17 DECEMBER 2014   STYLE   STEFF YOTKA
... The collection, encompassing 10 religions and 100 prayers, reflects Bianco’s personal journey with religion. “I was born in Brazil and I was raised with Catholic values. My mom is Italian, but all my mom’s family in Rio [de Janeiro] started to practice CandomblĂ©, an African-Brazilian religion,” Bianco explained. “I grew up with these hugely different beliefs, Catholicism and CandomblĂ©. That made me curious about other religions. I went to India and of course I wanted to learn more about Hinduism. I love Japan and I think about how beautiful Shinto is. Then 10 years ago, I started working with Madonna, and because of the job, I needed to learn about Kabbalah, because everything in the tour—the logos, the promotions—was about Kabbalah.”
The illustrated set is steeped in the Italian tradition of collecting Catholic prayer cards with religious imagery on one side, text on the other. “I thought, I’m an art director, I love religions,” said Bianco. “I’m very happy about this project because it’s a really personal project. With this I’m doing something where I can combine what I know with what my passion is.” 
Photo Courtesy of Taschen
While mixing many religions into one set might seem like an odd choice, Bianco says he hopes people will relate to his project beyond the religious aspects. “This project is not really about religions but about philosophy, what beliefs people connect with. It’s important to connect about something, and I believe everybody connects about life.”  Read More 




Balinese Hindus commemorate good’s victory over evil 
"Family gatherings are a traditional way for many Balinese to celebrate Galungan, as many who work away from home return to perform joint prayers."
18 DECEMBER 2014   JAKARTA POST   NIL KOMANG ERVIANI
DENPASAR, BALI (JT) -- Millions of Balinese Hindus across the island observed Galungan, to commemorate good’s victory over evil, on Wednesday.

From early morning, people flocked to temples and shrines to perform prayers. Wearing their best colorful Balinese attire, they brought offerings, including many kinds of fruit, cakes and canang sari (a delicate banana leaf arrangement with petals on top). 
The Jagatnatha temples in regencies across Bali were also flocked by Hindu devotees.

... Galungan is also a much-awaited time to catch up with relatives, including the dead. People in northern Bali not only flocked to temples and shrines but also to cemeteries to pray to their ancestors. This tradition is specific to the people of Buleleng regency.  
... Desak Ketut Warsiki, a Buleleng native living in Denpasar with her small family, was delighted to be in touch with all her relatives in Buleleng. 
“Galungan is the time to meet all the family,” the mother of one who works at a hotel in Kuta said. Read More




Halal karaoke, anyone?
19 DECEMBER 2014   NIKKEI ASIAN REVIEW
TOKYO (NAR) -- Japanese karaoke chain operator Koshidaka Holdings will on Dec. 25 open a shop that serves certified halal food and has a prayer room for Muslim customers. The company sees an opportunity in the growing number of tourists from Islamic countries in Asia.
The outlet will be the first karaoke shop in central Tokyo to serve foods prepared in accordance with Islamic dietary laws. The company has obtained official certification from Tokyo-based Malaysia Halal Corp., a certification organization endorsed by the Malaysian government. 
The food served there will include typical karaoke-shop fare, such as french fries, but will be made with certified halal ingredients. That means, for example, no pork and alcohol will be used. The prices will generally be the same as those at Koshidaka Holdings' other outlets.  
A separate kitchen and different tableware will be used for non-Muslim customers. Alcoholic beverages, which are banned under Islamic law, will be available for non-Muslim customers.  Read More







No comments:

Post a Comment